Pre-Employment Physical FAQ's:
Why would a potential employer want a pre-employment physical exam conducted?
- Reduces the potential for workers' compensation payments.
- Overall medical costs are decreased, productivity increases.
- Legal costs can be reduced or even avoided by hiring people correctly.
- Avoid potential replacement and training costs for hiring a new employee.
What are the biggest challenges with having an injured employee?
- The longer an employee is off work due to injury, the more likely they are to experience permanent disability.
- Injured employees who do not return to work within six months have only a 50% chance of ever returning to the job held at the time of injury. *
What is assessed during a pre-employment exam?
- Balance: ability to maintain body equilibrium.
- Bending: forward motion and flexibility.
- Carrying: transportation of an object.
- Climbing: ladders, stairs, ramps, etc.
*Rowe, Tom. “2009 Annual Report: On the Job.” State Compensation Insurance Fund, 2009, content.statefundca.com/pdf/2009AnnualReport.pdf.